News & Updates for Olde Sycamore Golf PlantationSubscribe to the RSS feed for this page and never miss an update!
View Recent Updates for All Courses
- 7/14/18, Review by Jdog85 - Layout, fairways and tee boxes in good condition. Now the greens are a different story. Need to put the new greens in and also improve some traps. Greens are bad, too soft people not properly repairing ball marks. Great course worst greens in Charlotte. Dont be fool by the drive by.
- 6/23/18, Review by GolfNiners5 - Course is in excellent condition with the exception of about 2-3 holes in which the fringe was burned off. We had no issues with anything else on the course. I would complain that they need a marshal out there to move people along. We had a group of 3 and were constantly waiting on a group of 2 that would hit multiple shots. Behind us they let out a group of about 6 and each had their own cart. Can't beat the price if you find a special online.
- 4/26/18, Review by GungaGalunga - Played in a Captains Choice fundraiser...and thankful I had not paid good money to play my own ball given the course conditions. It is in embarrassing shape. I don't think any of the greens were in good shape...some are in terrible shape...fairways were horrendous...tee boxes trashy...not sure what is going on because this is a good track and layout...but in really bad shape right now. Sad.
- 4/21/18, Review by GolfNiners5 - Majority of the course is in great shape. I didn't notice any issues with the bunkers, tee boxes or fairways. I would say 75% of the greens are in good shape. Most of the fringe around the greens is bare or dead. There were a couple of holes in which the greens were very bumpy and looked like they had a disease. There were bare spots and rough patches but it only affected about 25% of the greens and they were still playable. Found a special on BirdieBug for 37 bucks so it was definitely worth it. I would imagine in a couple of weeks this could be back to 5 stars
- 11/29/17, Review by BetterThanMost - Wanted to post an update, particularly about Olde Sycamore's greens. They were in much better condition than the previous post. The cooler November weather seems to have served them well. Tees, fairways, rough, bunkers all in excellent shape.
- 11/4/17, Review by kuehbr - Teed off at 12:30 on Saturday and it was probably my least favorite experience at Olde Sycamore. The pace of play was extremely slow, consistently had 3 to 4 groups waiting in front and behind us for a 4some that didnt know what ready golf was. The greens are shot right now. They are in a world of trouble for next summer if they can't get the roots to grow deeper and some spots were basically sand/dirt around the holes. Tee boxes are similar to greens. Fairways were nice and they have new carts. But for $70 dollars this place did not come close to expectations.. Would expect it from a $30-$40 dollar course.. save your money or look for deals to play this course right now. BirdieBug or GolfNow usually runs a couple of them.
- 6/25/17, Review by DrSchteeve - It was all good. Got out early, pace was great. There were a few soggy areas in some fairways from the deluge the night before, and hence cart path only. Certainly pricey, but a great course in great shape.
- 5/23/17, Review by KyleSmith - Won't post a score/rate for this round since it was a tournament, but wanted to share course conditions. This was my first time playing Old Sycamore, and it was a fun track. Course is in great shape, especially considering the amount of rain we had leading up to the tournament date. fairways were solid, and greens were in great shape. Highly recommend making your way to play it.
- 11/23/16, Review by The B-Man - Olde Sycamore is in good shape. The greens rolled true and didn't have any problems. The bermuda fairways are just starting to yellow for the winter. Leaves are a problem if you're not in the fairway though. I hadn't played in a while but not much has changed. This track is still one of my favorites around town and is kept in good shape.
- 9/15/16, Review by aimtobreak80 - I didn't actually play this course. I just wanted to post a complaint about the course being closed to the public today because of a tournament, and that information NOT being posted on their website. What is the sense in having such a "communication vehicle" if they do not regularly update the site with useful information??? Luckily, I called before making the ~30 mile trip to the course.
- 8/20/16, Review by The Good Son - Following up on BetterThanMost's 8/1 review, I can report the greens are still in miserable shape. They punched the greens Monday and Tuesday (8/15 and 8/16), which only seemed to compound the issues. I can agree that the rest of the course is in solid shape, but the greens are a major deal breaker. I would avoid this course until they get this fixed up.
- 8/1/16, Review by BetterThanMost - From tee to green Olde Sycamore is in about as good a shape as any track in Charlotte. The greens, however, are suffering terribly. The bent grass just can't handle the heat we've had over the last month or so. They've sanded most of them, but with the abundance of ball marks and stressed out bent grass, they are in really poor shape. They are also building a new tee box for the par 3 4th hole that brings the pond more into play.
- 5/7/16, Review by The B-Man - Olde Syc is one of my favorite tracks and it is in really good shape right now. Greens were very good and rolled true. Tees, fairways and bunkers were all in really good shape. Got a nice $55 deal for Saturday morning. The ranger was out on the course and keeping the speed of play on track. My only complaint was that a few of the pins were tucked very close to the edges of greens, like only a flagstick length (#6 and #11) -- that was a bit tough for us amateurs.
- 4/16/16, Review by GolfNiners5 - No major issues. Everything seemed to be in great condition as always. Pace of play was expected as it was a busy Saturday afternoon.
- 3/24/16, Review by GetThere214 - Course is starting to green up nicely with the weather. Tee Boxes and Fairways were very good. Bunkers here are the best in the area with fresh white sand. Greens were just punched and sanded recently which made it difficult to putt. Balls were bouncing a lot. I am fine with that knowing they are going to be better later in the spring. Overall good day.
- 3/16/16, Review by aimtobreak80 - First outing of the 2016 season. The flags in front of the clubhouse were flapping rather vigorously when I arrived, and the breezy conditions continued throughout the round. Temperatures reached low-to-mid 80's by the time I had finished so, all in all, a great day to be out on the course. The greens had been aerated recently (the reason they were only charging $25 for the round), but there were only a few greens where that really hurt me. Most of the aeration holes were nearly filled in, and the covering sand (stones included) were the bigger problem. The fairways are definitely "greening up", but tee bases are still a sparse. The bunkers were damp and firm (perhaps as a result of the Sunday night-Monday afternoon showers). My round was definitely up and down - ball striking surprisingly good for the first time out, but decision making was more than iffy (Birdied the opening Par 5 with three excellent shots ending with a 6' putt. The next hole, I didn't check yardage, drove through the end of the fairway, and lost the ball.) The front nine results really tell the story: 3 birdies, 2 triple bogies, and 2 lost balls! Even so, it was great to be on the course, especially for only $25.
- 1/31/16, Review by averagejoebacknine - This was my first time playing Olde Sycamore, the course was in decent shape considering a week before there was a snow/ice storm. Some wet areas in the shaded areas, the greens were in decent shape had great speed but showed every cleat mark. Pace of play was a little slow but hey it was the first nice day in a week on a Saturday. Will play again for sure, membership rates are promising as well.
- 8/12/15, Review by aimtobreak80 - Another week - another golf course. Fairways, greens, and tees were all green. Bunkers were quite firm and slightly damp (possibly from Tuesday evening thunderstorm that ravaged the area). There was a sign posted advising that some greens were being watered by hand, and that golfers should be accommodating when encountering such. The results were that balls were holding very well, similar to Charlotte National, last week, coming to rest within inches (1 foot at most) of the ball mark. The only complaint is the abundance of poorly repaired/poorly recovered ball marks on virtually every green that contributed to somewhat bumpy rolling to the hole. The $32 Senior rate made for a good golfing value.
- 7/30/15, Review by GetThere214 - Really enjoyed my round at Olde Sycamore. From the opening hole and the conversation with the starter before teeing off. He was great to talk to. Course is in very good shape. I played from the tips and some of the tee boxes were a little chewed up. The other boxes were much better where my dad played from. Fairways and bunkers were in great shape and the greens were very good. They do have some marks in them but for the most part ran true. Will definitely be coming back.
- 7/9/15, Review by GetThere214 - I really like coming out to Olde Sycamore. Course was in great shape. Tee boxes were very good. I played from the tips and had no issues with any spots. Fairways were very good. There was only one hole that had a little "fairway kill" and it was only on one side of it. Greens were fast and receptive. Putts rolled true and for the most part were smooth. Cant wait to come back!!
- 6/25/15, Review by HittOD - Thought I would post a review of Olde Sycamore since there appears to be none since last year. Fairways were great, and played ball down with no problem. Greens very good, and full of bent grass, but understandably cut a little high, and a little slow, undoubtedly to protect them during the recent oppressive heat. Played Blue tees, ~ 6400 yds. Sand traps in very good shape. Holes are unique in general, with some par 4's requiring less than driver. Played in a threesome with fast players that would have finished in 3.5 hrs, but waited some to still finish in under 4 hrs. Got a very good rate online making this an excellent value.
- 8/6/14, Review by PADave - Great round. Paired up with a member, shot similar scores, and he paid for beers. Really like this course. A couple greens were damaged, but really still in great shape. Average pace of play.
- 8/5/14, Review by dad4204 - The course was in it's usual really good shape. Tees very good, fairways excellent, greens rolled well but were very ball marked. Again, poor golfers not repairing marks correctly. The one sand trap I hit out of was great. I really liked it, looking for some deals though. I try to use up 4 containers of sand each round. Fill all holes next to where I hit.
- 7/6/14, Review by The B-Man - Used one of my LivingSocial deal rounds - was $180 for 10 rounds where you only pay $20 cart fee. Great deal for this course. The conditions were very good. The greens are in fine shape, only a few ballmarks here and there. Tees, fairways and bunkers were all good and the course was near empty late in the day. Only one issue I noticed -- #12 green is damaged. Almost as if a runaway grass-killer spray cart got loose. There's a long winding random trail on the green that left bare tracks in its wake. They put the pin away from most of it, but my putt had to cross it and bumped off line. Other than that, just great conditions.
- 6/13/14, Review by DrSchteeve - Perfect. Nothing else to say.
- 5/23/14, Review by cnolin1976 - Very disappointed with my experience here today. Purchased a $39 Friday before 1pm coupon from clickitgolf. Before doing so I checked Olde Sycamore's website. No where did it say they were observing holiday rates today. (Turns out they actually were in holiday rates from Thursday through Monday, Memorial Day) even when I called to book a tee time and asked their current rate they never said it would be their holiday rate. So the best del he could give us was $51. Guy in line behind us had exact same issue. But sucking it up and paying the extra fee we tried to get to golfing. Well one of the genius workers decided to close our trunk with our keys and one set of clubs still inside. They refused to pay triple A to come and unlock our trunk even though it was their employee that took it upon himself to shut our trunk. Our tee time was 10:30 so by the turn it was a little hot. We stopped in the club house to get some food and refreshments and enjoy the ac for a few. We were told we had to leave and take our food and drink to go because we were at the turn. Wtf?!?! Overall attitude of the employees, with the exception of the drink cart girl, was very poor and borderline rude. And strangely the on course bathrooms were all locked. The course conditions were actually pretty good. Greens were much slower then they led us to believe. Their quote was "you'll feel like you're putting at Augusta" I'm not a major fan of the lay out. Lots of blind landing zones that would mysteriously eat up what appeared to be a good tee shot. Pace of play was great. We finished in four hours. But for reasons having nothing to do with the course itself, I will not be returning to this course.
- 5/10/14, Review by DrSchteeve - Not quite perfect, but close. A few greens with bumpy patches, fairways still coming in, great pace for a Sat morning, a bit pricey but worth it.
- 4/5/14, Review by DrSchteeve - By far the best conditions for this time of year of any course I have played - not even close.
- 3/2/14, Review by Northernhacker - I'm a big fan of Olde Sycamore, played it Sunday afternoon and as always the layout was great. Conditions for the course were good given it is February. Greens were quick and rolled true. Tee boxes were in pretty good shape. They overbook this course with tee times 4 minutes apart, our tee time was delayed 25 minutes. One cart in our group died on the third hole, then both carts started to die around the 14th hole. We called 3 times and no one ever came out to swap the carts. Ended up abandoning the carts on the 18th fairway after they had completely died.
- 2/22/14, Review by The B-Man - My first round of the new year. Unfortunately conditions were very wet with the heavy rains Thursday and Friday last week. Cart path only and lots of mud puddles in the fairways. I had to take relief in several of the fairways (esp. #11) and in many of them it was difficult to find relief within 25 yards of your ball. None of that is really the course's fault, though it means I wouldn't necessarily choose this course next time after a big storm. The bunkers were also very wet, not necessarily with standing water, but enough where it was difficult to play from them. They had not been raked. One other spot that really bothered me was the tee box on 17 -- mostly mud, little grass. So the best part about the course during my round was the greens. They were in good shape for the season and the wet conditions. They were cut low and rolled pretty consistently throughout. I really like this course and the shape it's kept in. I just happened to hit after a very big rainstorm. The Clickit rate was $46 compared to a rack rate of $52 on the weekends right now.
- 12/18/13, Review by syncgolf - Winter golf at its finest. Course is in great shape for December. Bunkers were especially nice. Greens have great speed. Perfect for holing putts. No leafs in play. We played a tee forward to make up for winter conditions. One of my favorite courses.
- 11/16/13, Review by DrSchteeve - Everything was great. Conditions, rangering, towel and tees in the cart.
- 10/18/13, Review by aimtobreak80 - The course was in near perfect condition. The only issue - not a complaint - was the rough. It was cut short everywhere, but the grass really grabbed the club head making it difficult to recover even when just a few feet off the fairway. The best way to handle it is to not be in it (My hitting 10 of 14 fairways didn't completely solve the problem). The greens were very good, although getting the right speed was a continual challenge, and led to more than one 3 putt performance by everyone in the threesome. I was very impressed by the tee set-ups. Out of our threesome, one hit from the Gold tees, one from the Blues, and one from the Whites. It was quite remarkable to see all three balls in relatively close proximity to one another following the respective drives. The entire staff was friendly and courteous, and truly made one feel welcomed to play there. All in all, a very enjoyable outing.
- 9/30/13, Review by syncgolf - Great day at the course the course was in terrific condition best fairways in town Awesome areas around the the greens for chipping on tightly mowed zoysia grass Bunkers were well maintained with soft sugary sand great for hitting high soft shots closest thing to country club I have played in Charlotte Hit balls on the range on perfect grass to actual greens complexes The staff was awesome Give them a try next time you are looking for a nice course Tell them syncgolf from the bman sent you Enjoy
- 9/24/13, Review by WFGolfer7 - First off, let me lead off by saying that this is an interesting test of target golf. Bombers need not apply, as all they'll do is run through fairways into marshes, creeks, woodlands. In this way, the course artificially lengthens itself. That's fine, but it was frustrating to not be able to hit the big dog that often. However, the main reason for the bad review is THE GREENS. I specifically asked the pro when I called how they were rolling, had they been punched, were they fast, etc.? I was informed that they had been punched 7 weeks before and were running "about a 10." This statement of being "about a 10" was reinterated before the round. This was an outright LIE. The greens were super fuzzy and SLOW SLOW SLOW. I was using my mallet putter like a sledgehammer all day and barely getting halfway to the hole. Another element in play with such slow greens is that the grain takes over. Reading putts became incredibly difficult, as inconsistencies from green to green with regards to speed hindered any and all putting attempts. Combine that with uncountable ball marks that were either unrepaired or poorly repaired and it was a joke. By the end, I was laughing (as was my playing partner). In summary: an interesting course with a tight, precision based layout RUINED by horrible, fuzzy, bumpy greens. Would not play again.
- 9/22/13, Review by JHG - Course is in nice condition. Greens rolling good, fairways a bit wet from the overnight rain but not too bad. Wasn't in any bunkers but they appeared in good shape. Enjoyed the layout. Friendly staff.
- 9/11/13, Review by DrSchteeve - Olde Sycamore does many things well - nice clubhouse, practice facilities, layout. Conditions of everything but the greens - fantastic. The greens - late summer bent grass: a mess. Despite a punch 3 weeks ago, there were ball marks and scars everywhere. They really need to move to Bermuda.
- 8/1/13, Review by malamute - course in nice shape - some sand on #8 green but the rest of the greens in good shape / one of the best courses around
- 6/27/13, Review by PADave - Great course! Morning round on a weekday. Well worth the $33 from clickit. Played in 3.5 hrs. Good shape, a tad wet, and a few too many unrepaired ballparks on greens. I'm nitpicking a bit. Great round. I'll be back!
- 6/9/13, Review by CU_Tigerfan - I feel like I'm repeating myself with my reviews, but Olde Sycamore is in very good shape right now. It was a little more soggy than rounds I played at Regent Park and Carolina Lakes. Greens were great, and the rangers did a good job trying to keep things moving on a busy Sunday morning.
- 5/29/13, Review by Wulfpack - I echo Dr. Schteeve's and CU Tiger fan's reviews -- this is a great course. No complaints whatsoever. Love the new clubhouse, too, and the hot dogs are great. I haven't been able to get out much this spring, and was planning to check Stonebridge out again as it has been a while since my last round there, but I called and was told the greens were recently aerated, and only 9 holes are open. Same thing at Fort Mill Golf Club. So I went out to Olde Reliable - The Syc. And it was just perfect. I got a coupon off Clickit for $33 - not half bad considering the great track. I highly recommend this course.
- 5/25/13, Review by GolfNiners5 - Course was in great shape! Greens and fairways were pristine. Pace of play was very slow and it seemed like they bunch a couple groups together
- 5/19/13, Review by CU_Tigerfan - Everything was in really good shape. Greens were great -- on the fast side, but not so fast that they were overly difficult. We were out early, so pace of play was not an issue which is really nice.
- 5/11/13, Review by DrSchteeve - Can't beat perfect. They had a member dogfight including a fivesome, but they rangered it well and we still finished in 4 hours. With the amenities (towels and tees in the carts, gorgeous cart girl, great well-stocked clubhouse), when things are right here they are really right. Everybody was in a good mood.
- 4/23/13, Review by estanwick - Greens= B+ Fairways B Tee boxes B- (tips) too much sand on them. Overall, I give it a B grade. Worth playing currently. No issues to report.
- 1/29/13, Review by dad4204 - The course was in good shape. Greens were good,were running average, not too fast or slow. fairways also good, but the people who play there need to fill their divots. I really enjoyed this course. I'll go back as soon as it's 60 again
- 11/2/12, Review by DrSchteeve - Greens nice and fast. Everything good.
- 9/11/12, Review by RedGeek - First time playing at Olde Sycamore. Fun course, played from the blues and had some interesting decisions on club choice on a couple of holes. Greens are in rough shape, especially the par 3's. Looks like a lot of play with no one repairing ball marks and couple of bad patches. Recently aerated and I think they're working on them. I definitely plan on going back in a couple of weeks to check in. Played at 2:30 pm, empty for front 9 but briefly slowed down after the turn. Everyone playing and working were very nice. As a note, the hole layout is not shown on score card or at the marker at tee box so that was a little tough for me having never played it before.
- 8/30/12, Review by malamute - course is in good shape / greens are being sprayed for problems - they are not in good shape - would not play here for a few weeks until they recover
- 8/18/12, Review by GungaGalunga - I thought the course was in great shape. Greens had been punched but had recovered and I found my putts rolled true.
- 8/17/12, Review by DrSchteeve - Greens were terrible - no grass in many places, recently punched but it wasn't the punching that was the problem, it was the bare spots and, quite frankly, bare greens. They may come back in weeks to months, but right now they are next to unplayable. The rest of the course conditions were fair. Fairways and rough ware ok, traps were very inconsistent - some had very little sand and were hard packed, some had fluffy white sand, and on one I hit down and struck the padding or whatever it was that presumably makes up the base of the trap.
- 8/2/12, Review by malamute - tee boxes / fairways great - greens top dressed not so great / never been treated badly here / like the course
- 7/7/12, Review by The B-Man - Course is in great shape tee to green. I took off half a star for the bunkers -- they had some gray sand and were difficult to play from. They no longer have the nice fluffy white sand from years past. From one of my old reviews, I use to think they had the best bunkers in town. No longer. Also, I had a similar experience to what one of the previous reviewers mentioned -- no using stray range balls. We were warming up (this is at 7:00am) and a buddy was finishing his bucket. I noticed a few extra balls from a leftover bucket next to him and so I grabbed a club to hit a few. As I'm walking up, one of the rangers walks past me and scooped up the extra range balls before I got there (didn't say a single word to us). Crazy. Never seen that before at any other course I've ever played. Say what you will about no freebies, but we were talking about 6 or 8 range balls -- what is that about $1.50? It's not like I was up there to practice and sniping all the balls I could to avoid buying a token. I think it's safe to say that's no way to encourage return visits.
- 5/26/12, Review by estanwick - Holiday weekend round. Expected to see more golfers but golf traffic was light. Course was in really good shape. No issues with greens at all. Hope the heat doesn't get to this place cause I will come back and play soon. Worth playing if you haven't been here in awhile.
- 5/9/12, Review by Wulfpack - Nothing negative to say about Olde Sycamore. Just a fabulous course - hands down my favorite in the area. Rained hard for the first three or so holes but then cleared up. Had the course to myself for the most part. Greens were pretty quick even with the rain. Fairways, tee boxes, and rough were all groomed. Bunkers very wet so hard to tell. Managed to par the usually impossible par 4 #9 (it always seems to get me). Only thing I find odd about the course is the giant shared green between #6 and #8. No biggie though. They are currently renovating the clubhouse/dining room area. Will look even nicer. Love this course. Need every club in the bag.
- 5/2/12, Review by DrSchteeve - Some of you may know I have a bit of history with Olde Sycamore. Nevertheless, I have to give the course its due. Greens, fairways, bunkers, tee boxes, rough - absolutely perfect. Add a great pace of play (played through one foursome with our threesome) and a nice senior rate, and you can't beat it. They are getting pricey again with a $69 rack rate on the weekend, but they are also one of the few courses that offer a senior rate ($56) on the weekend. Like many course with bent greens, they may get beat up toward the end of summer - I would play now while conditions are perfect
- 4/8/12, Review by slowmofo - I hated old suckamore. I showed up by myself ( which I normally do) and asked the 3 some behind me if they would like to play, they declined so I was ok with that. I started with a nice drive and then thats when I saw something a little fishy. On the green a whole group of kids and their parents. Apparently there was a tournament for little kids going on. I had to wait about 40 minutes in between each shot. I caught up to the group and they saw I was by myself, they wouldn't let me play through which I can understand. So after the kids would finish up on the green the greenskeepr would stop me and start watering the greens while I was on my second shot. It took me 7 hrs to play this course, solo. The course itself isn't even really that great. It was kept up okay, but there is nothing visually satisfying about this course. Luckily I only paid $20 and should have listened to my friend when he told me not to play there. What a dissapointment.
- 1/7/12, Review by DrSchteeve - Except for the slow play, everything was good.
- 12/20/11, Review by outliar - I don't like "cons" and therefore want to call these guys out! Advertisement says "$185 for 10 rounds, 10 range tokens and 10 lessons....a value of over $1800 bucks!" BS- Add $230 more dollars to play (mandatory cart fee); the "lesson" is 5-10 minutes. What you end of getting is 10 rounds + a small bucket of range balls for $41.50 + tax.
- 10/24/11, Review by izzyf150 - Ive played this golf course quite a few times this year. It has always been in great shape. Guess what? It still is. Thats why it remains my favorite I guess. Nothing negative to say about this course.
- 8/13/11, Review by DrSchteeve - Greens are very chewed and bumpy, mixed with bare spots, mixed with one sanded green. Pace of play was horrific - we had to play catch up to get through in 5 hours. The course blamed this on too many people showing up for an outing and another extra group showing up - they let them on the course on a packed Saturday morning with 9 minute spreads!?! Won't be back for a while. I'm beginning to think of Olde Sycamore as the Lucy and the football course - things happen to make me swear I won't go back, but since it is a good layout and conditions can be good, I keep going back and then something like this happens. Come on, Charlie Brown, I won't pull the football away this time. I promise!
- 7/20/11, Review by DrSchteeve - Couldn't be better.
- 7/18/11, Review by ILL-INI - So glad I bought that Groupon deal a couple months back, I am really enjoying this course right now. The greens out there are in great shape as well as the rest of the course for that matter. Pace of play wasn't bad, had a few hiccups with me being a two-some and waiting on a 4-some with an open hole in front of them for 3 holes. Ranger took care of it though so no worries. All in all another great day out at the syc.
- 7/6/11, Review by stonecold - only thing about this course i have to complain about is the lack of signage or yardage markers/distance to creeks/rivers/and no indication of blind holes and they should put up big cow bells to alert golfers behind you that you have cleared the fairway . and it seems like they make you buy the caddy book to find these things out which will not only speed up play there but make for a more joyous experience!!
- 7/4/11 - Msg Board Posting
olde sycamore roy I had the honor of playing with THE B Man today at Olde Sycamore. Overall the course was in good shape, fairways rolling and the greens were true throughout the round.
- 7/2/11, Review by DrSchteeve - Just one thing was odd - the teeboxes were all WAY forward. Usually play the whites, and every par 3 was less than 115. Silly. We ended playing a mix of the blues and the whites, but on some holes there just wasn't a good choice - whites way forward, blues back. Although the course seemed to play slow, we finished in 4 1/2 on a Sat morn/aft, with lots of rangers coming through. All in all, highly recommended.
- 6/25/11, Review by El Supremo - Course is in great shape. Tees, fairways, bunkers are in great shape. Greens are in excellent condition but a bit slow. A couple still had syringe size punch marks but it didn't affect the roll. Rough is cut short but is extremely thick. Only issue was that on 14 the ranger told us we needed to speed up because there was a hole open between us and the group in front of us. I wouldn't have taken issue with this except that the group behind us was no where in sight. Ranger got a little ticked when we told him we'd speed up if they caught us. They didn't.
- 6/21/11, Review by NC-Buckeye - I played in the Ernie Els Autism tournament at TPC Piper Glen in the morning and then my foursome played an afternoon round at Olde Sycamore. We were in full agreement that the course conditions at Olde Sycamore were substantially better than TPC. The only area of comparison were the greens. TPC greens were marginally better, rolling a bit more true than OS. OS greens were well maintained, but were rolling slower than they looked/we were used to. All in all, we all would have preferred to play 2 rounds at OS vs. the morning round at TPC.
- 6/18/11, Review by DrSchteeve - Everything great except pace just a bit slow, but at 4 1/2 hours not bad. Just been spoiled recently at Eagle Chase and Charlotte National as far as pace of play - 3 1/2 hours at those even on a weekend.
- 6/18/11, Review by ILL-INI - Head pro...not sure what his name is - real snobby dude. Other than had a great day on the course. Greens look faster than they are so a little deciveing there but rolling very true. 18 had a few bare spots towards the end of the fairway, no biggy. Rough is cut for fair play, fairways are nice. Love the course, very scenic and plush.
- 6/1/11, Review by DrSchteeve - Well, my run-in with the staff several months ago notwithstanding, I have to give the course its due. Hard to imagine better conditions. Like several other higher-end daily fee courses, weekend pricing, even with Clickit, is quite high right now, but the weekday senior rate was $32 and we basically set our own pace, seeing only 2 other groups while we played.
- 4/3/11, Review by manu775 - Olde Sycamore is a good track, but the rain has really taken it's tole on the course. This day it was cart path only (and has been that several times now). The pace of play was horrible. We ended up skipping a hole so we could get in front of a group. The fairways needed some work, but the greens were pretty good.
- 3/4/11 - Msg Board Posting
Olde Sycamore? Wade I played Olde Sycamore last year and will play that again. I might drive over to Pinehurst and play a few rounds there. Any reccomendations? I am looking at Hyland Hills, Tallamore, Southern Pines. I am trying to stay within a budget of $50 per course.
- 2/12/11 - Msg Board Posting
Range Balls DrSchteeve So here was my experience at Olde Sycamore yesterday.
Heading out to the range, about to use the token I bought for a bucket, I noticed there were quite a few balls on the range already. I pocketed the token, headed to the range, and began hitting balls. Called to pick up my partner who had just checked in, I got in my cart, having left several clubs leaning against the club rack in front of the balls I was hitting. When I returned, a course employee was on the range, buckets in hand, picking up all the balls on the range. He asked me if I “paid for those balls” to which I answered, “they were here when I came out”, at which he picks up the balls and puts them in a bucket and walks off.
I have played golf for over 20 years, on every ! course from exclusive club to downtrodden muni, and I have never seen this, and never had this type of confrontational event on a range. Usually, course employees are giving out free buckets if they happen to cross a golfer while they have some balls in hand. I have played at Harbour Town in Hilton Head, and when asked what to do with the bag of balls not used (because there were plenty of balls on the range to hit), have been told “Take them, they’re yours”.
I understand that there is an alternative view - that I was "stealing" balls by hitting balls that I hadn't paid for (even though somebody did). I just haven't seen this in over 20 years of playing golf. Not likely I'll be going back to Olde Sycamore anytime soon.
- 2/12/11, Review by DrSchteeve - See the message board posting for my reasons for suggesting to stay away - major attitude issue on the part of a course employee. Conditions, however, were overall fair - fairways muddy from the rain, some greens with some bumpy spots.
- 10/13/10, Review by DrSchteeve - Very minor issues on a few greens. Near perfect. Ranger could have moved us around in 3 1/2, but 4 hours wasn't bad.
- 10/1/10, Review by The B-Man - Played in a scramble here Friday morning and the conditions were great. They have their Club Championship this weekend and as you can imagine did everything they could to have the course in great shape. The greens, especially, were very good. Smooth and rolling true, quick but not fast. The few issues I could find were one hole with a large area of sand in the middle of the fairway (#13) and a few fairways that were downright shaggy (#8, #18 stood out), I guess because of the rain and wanted to hold off cutting for the club championship. Rough was fair. Overall, happy with the conditions and will be back to play my own scorecard when I can.
- 9/25/10, Review by CU_Tigerfan - Course is in very good shape right now. I haven't played in a while, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought the greens were in good shape considering the weather lately. The only issue seems to be so many players don't fix their ball marks. Beyond that everything was great. Fairways were nice, tee boxes were in good shape, and the rough was thick and penal (as it should be). Pace of play was good for a Saturday morning. It is a little pricey right now, even with click-it.
- 9/4/10, Review by DrSchteeve - Greens just have "pock marks" from a lot of play without ball marks being fixed adequately. Mostly able to repair the marks on putting lines but there were a few bumpy rolls. Rough is difficult but fair. Pace was a bit slow. Fairways a bit fluffy but quite good. Overall pretty good condition but paid a premium price.
- 8/28/10 - Msg Board Posting
Greens update 08/28/2010 DrSchteeve Personally checked or played (except where noted):
Verdict Ridge: punched "about 2 weeks ago" - still quite bumpy, along with some bare spots that haven't responded to the punching
Olde Sycamore: punched about a month ago, unfortunately divots from poorly repaired ballmarks mar the surfaces significantly - in other words, they look ok, and in general are in good rolling condition, but there are just too many ballmarks so almost any putt is likely to hit a ballmark (or 2)
Emerald Lake: punched about 10 days ago, still top dressed with a lot of sand, along with other issues certainly not rolling true
Skybrook: some really nice smooth areas on many greens, but also bare spots and many plugs of (presumably) poa anna, overall not bad
Highland Creek: very spotty, bare areas galore, one green (#15) gone by report
Red Bridge: mostly in very good condition, only a few greens with some isolated issues (Red Bridge greens are mini verde per clubhouse); definitely the best greens of all these (except Cleghorn, see below)
Cleghorn (this from a month ago) - in Rutherfordton, a hike, but perfect Bermuda greens (and fairways), best overall conditions I've played in all year (and maybe ever)
Hope that helps somebody...
- 8/27/10, Review by malamute - course is holding up well #13 is playing as a par 3 right now because of broken water line in fairway like most courses greens are just fair due to heat
- 8/17/10 - Msg Board Posting
Olde Sycamore/Oak Hills DrSchteeve Sadly heard that Olde Sycamore's greens are going the way of everyone elses - not horrible, but not good.
On a bright note, played Oak Hills in Columbia - a great track with Bermuda greens and fairways in great shape. I definitely recommend if you are in the area.
- 7/31/10, Review by happygolfing - The course was is good shape, but the green were full of ball marks that affected every putt. I mentioned it to the person at the Pro Shop and he got personally offended. He stated well 'it is a public golf course." This is the second time I've played here and found the Pro shop perfect very rude and disrespectful. I like the course and was thinking about a membership, but will hold off for now due to this experience. I will be looking at Red Bridge and Emerald Lake.
- 7/16/10, Review by malamute - course is in better shape than most this time of year a few greens had sandy spots but not bad at all well worth playing right now
- 7/10/10, Review by pga5f - Great course and the greens are weathering the heat pretty well, with only a few having some issues, but even those roll well.
- 7/9/10 - Msg Board Posting
Olde Sycamore touts its conditions and service - do you agree? The B-Man I am on the email list for Olde Sycamore and this week's specials came with a big intro hyping their conditions and service. I thought it was a great list that all courses could aspire to, but I was skeptical about how much OS lives up to them. I'm curious about others' opinions on this and whether other courses do a better / worse job with this list. Post your feedback here.
So why do Charlotte golfers continue to choose Olde Sycamore over other area courses?
- Bag drop loading and unloading services.
- Clean carts stocked with comfort towels and tees.
- Well groomed fairways and general playing conditions.
- Smooth, fast greens.
- Well groomed sand traps.
- On-course beverage and snack service.
- Clean clubhouse and on-course restrooms.
- Upscale practice facility.
- Well maintained landscaping throughout the grounds.
- Convenient outside water stations.
- Friendly registration staff.
- Full service Bar and Grill.
- Professional, polite service.
- The ability to enjoy a hassle free round of golf.
At Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation we focus on our players and our product. We promise to maintain the level of excellent course conditions and service you have come to expect and we thank you for your support and business.
- Bag drop loading and unloading services.
- 7/9/10 - Msg Board Posting
Olde sycamore Drschteeve I think all those apply, except occasionally the pro shop staff is a bit stuffy. With a lot of courses suffering this year due to the heat, they have done a very good job with course conditions so far.
- 6/26/10, Review by The B-Man - I played in the Matt Clark charity tournament Saturday morning and the course was in perfect shape. No issues anywhere. Smooth, quick greens. Lushness all around. The rough is in mid-season form, which means it's thick and penalizing when you're in it. It's not past the point of fairness, but you will need to keep a close eye on any shots that are headed for it -- in some cases, you may have to walk right over a ball that has nestled down in the thick stuff. This is one of my favorite area courses mostly because it's kept in such great shape.
- 5/15/10, Review by DrSchteeve - Nearly the best shape I've seen the course. Pro shop staff snooty as usual, which is usually the only issue along with pace of play. For a Saturday morning, the pace was lightning.
- 5/3/10, Review by JD - The "Syc" is in the best shape I've seen in a long while. Greens were running slower than normal, but in good shape. Fairways, rough and bunkers all in good shape. Tee boxes were okay, a little sandy, but nothing that affected play. Bring a thermos if you play in the afternoon. If it weren't for a little kid selling water/Gatorade at 15th tee, I would have perished.
- 4/30/10, Review by malamute - course in fine shape / bunkers nice fluffy sand / greens in good shape / range a bit torn up / for an upscale course lack of gps is questionable
- 4/16/10, Review by malamute - pace was very slow due to event course was in fine shape all around one of the better courses in charlotte; however a bit expensive at times
- 4/3/10, Review by The B-Man - Course is starting to round into spring shape. The fairways are just starting to turn green. The greens were aerated in the last few weeks and you can barely tell. They were pretty solid today. Fairly decent speed and mostly consistent. I had no problems with the greens. The rest of the course was OK. A few fairways had some muddy spots or some ground under repair. The bunkers are still some of the nicest around -- fluffy white sand. The rangers did a good job keeping the pace right around 4 hours. So no problems today, though it's still one of the pricier rounds in town ($55 twilight on a Sat).
- 9/15/09 - Msg Board Posting
2nd Annual Ri Ra Golf Classic - Wed Oct 21, 2009 Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation Ri Ra Irish Pub You are welcomed to join Ri Ra Irish Pub in our second annual Charity Golf Classic. This is your chance to get out and have some fun with Ri Ra while we are busy re-building you a brand new pub due to a fire back in May. We are pleased to be working with and supporting the charity the NC Fire Fighters Burned Childrens Fund. Our event is Wednesday October 21st, 2009 1 PM Shotgun start at beautiful Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation. Only $80 per/$320 a foursome with ALL proceeds to the Charity. Food, beverage (the good stuff of course!) and prizes provided all day. Please don't hesitate to register at www.rira.com (follow links to Charlotte golf site). CHEERS!
- 8/23/09 - Msg Board Posting
Olde Sycamore James Another great round at Olde Sycamore. I don't play there nearly enough as the condition of the course was immaculate as usual, much better than any of the Carolina Trail courses. It's a terrific layout and well worth $54 (with coupon) on weekends.
- 8/1/09 - Msg Board Posting
Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation Lee F. Played Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation on Friday, July 31. We've gotten a good amount of rain this week and the course was a bit wet (cart path golf), but I can imagine this course will suck up all the moisture this week. The place was in great condition. It was my first time playing it and I was impressed. On "par" with Emerald Lake and Skybrook, though Skybrook has had a little wear and tear in recent weeks. Greens were a little beat up due to the moisture and resulting softness of the playing surface, but I think they'll bounce back soon. Even though this course is a bit more expensive than the other public courses in the area, I thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a decent challenge and good conditions.
- 6/23/09 - Played late afternoon on 6/23. Course is still in fine shape tee to green. The rough is definitely tough right now, but it's fair (and actually can help your ball from going into trouble). OS still has the best bunkers of any public course I've played in Charlotte, nice and consistent white sand. The greens were good, maybe just a tad slower, but that was probably due to the lateness of our round (we played from 5 until dark). Overall, I was pretty pleased again with the course.
- 6/7/09 - Msg Board Posting
Carolina Trail Coupons Chuck Anybody try the 29.00 carolina trail coupons ? I was curious about the select Tee times. The price is great but don't really want to have to play in the heat of the day. The coupon say anytime but the fine print has select time.
Played Olde Sycamore on Thursday and the course was in great shape. Greens were firm and fast but rolled real nice.
Played Stonebridge on Tuesday and the fairway was a little shaggy due to the rain and not being cut but otherwise in great condition.
Anybody play springfield lately ? Looking to play next week as the rates are down and enjoyed playing there last year.
- 5/26/09 - Msg Board Posting
Olde Sycamore James I agree with the comments about the condition of the course. Great shape right now. Greens are quick. I still would rather play Skybrook or Carolina Lakes for the price though, $69 on Friday. They charged a holiday rate. Does anybody know what holiday it was on Friday?
- 5/22/09 - Played on 5/22. This course gets my highest rating and best review of the year for conditions. Immaculate. Perfectly green and smooth fairways. Fast greens. Just awesome. About the best shape it could be in. Go play it! But grab a coupon or play in the afternoon. The prices have gone up. $69 rack rate on a weekend, $49 on a weekday. I played for $36 after 3 today (Friday). So it was a great deal for what I got.