News & UpdatesSubscribe to the RSS feed for this page and never miss an update!
View Recent Reviews for All Courses
To view updates for a specific course:
- 11/22/19, The Revival Golf Club at the Crescent , Review by BetterThanMost - Just a quick note on Revival/Crescent: They are using temp greens on the front 9 for another week or two as they perform maintenance on greens. You can either play the temps on the front, or play the back 9 twice. Back nine greens are phenomenal. Rest of the course continues to get better and better each time I go as well.
- 11/7/19, Charles T. Myers Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - My first time back at Charles T for 18 holes since last year's switch over to Bermuda greens. Color me impressed. The greens were great -- slick, true and consistent across all 18 holes. The rest of the course was in good shape as well but if you have not played since the new greens went in you will only be talking about the greens after playing. I really liked them, although being so slick now, there are some pin positions that should be outlawed. The front pin on #10 was diabolical. I saw 3 people in my group (myself included) putt from above the hole off the front of the green. It was comical but also not cool. The back left pin on #17 was also impossible to get close to or stop a putt coming from the right side. So either they nix those pin positions on some slopes or they've got to slow the greens down. Outside of that complaint, I'm excited about Charles T again. I've been meaning to get back and check it out and now I will be back more often. I used to consider Charles T one of the best deals in Charlotte golf and that was with bent grass greens that were sometimes slow or chewed up. Now with these awesome Bermuda greens and the same value pricing and great practice facilities, it's back in the conversation. Well done, Del Ratcliffe and team!
- 11/1/19, Charlotte National Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Tee to green in very good shape. The new greens (well, new to me...about a year old now) are in very good shape as are the areas around them, the fairways (some crabgrass spots) and the tee boxes. The rough is, for the most part, crabgrass and kept short giving the course a wide-open look. They also took out a load of trees as everyone does when putting in the TIF bermuda greens.
- 10/30/19 - Msg Board Posting about Waterford Golf Club
Panthers buying Waterford IM4DHERD Panthers buying Waterford Golf Club in Rock Hill
- 10/30/19, Rocky River Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Normal wear and tear allows for a lot of thin/bar spots down the edges of the cart path, but we did have a tough summer and early fall with little rain and high heat. Tee to green in excellent shape. Some penalty areas improperly marked (red when should be yellow). Quick round, good price, very good conditions.
- 10/6/19, The Tradition Golf Club, Review by KyleSmith - First time playing this course and overall I was impressed. Booked the tee time Thursday afternoon and got a 9am tee time on a day the weather was supposed to turn really nice, so I was slightly worried that this course wasn't going to be very good. I was wrong. Course was pretty green and in good shape. The bent grass greens are in good shape, but some idiot in a group in front of us was tearing them up with his/her spikes. Made it tough to put. Overall, worth the price. Good course and will play again soon.
- 9/26/19, Skybrook Golf Club, Review by BRR - New greens are in great shape. Some of the tee boxes and a few of the fairways were a little thin but overall the course was in good shape. 2 triple bogies ruined an otherwise decent round. I blame them on the clubs or the ball, or the nice sunny weather, anything but me.
- 9/23/19, Charlotte National Golf Club, Review by BRR - New greens in great shape.The fairways were hard due to lack of rain. Overall nice course to play.
- 9/22/19, Carolina Lakes Golf Club, Review by TheClaw - Love playing Carolina Lakes as it is a great layout that is always in good condition. The bent grass greens were a little tired from the long hot summer with a few pock marks, but still rolled great and were very receptive. My only beef with this course is that the brakes on the carts are terrible and lock up every time you touch them. Just a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt in one of these carts on one of the many steep winding downhill paths.
- 9/22/19, Mooresville Golf Club, Review by wesleyheightshacker - First time playing Mooresville today and I will be back. The course was in fantastic shape - tee boxes, fairways, and greens. Pace of play was right at 4 hours. The front nine is a little more aesthetically appealing to my eye, however the entire course was excellent.
- 9/19/19, Stonebridge Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Stonebridge is in great shape except for the greens. very slow and a lot of ball marks not healing well. Great layout and the fairways and teeboxes are all in great shape.
- 9/19/19, Stonebridge Golf Club, Review by BRR - I've played here many times. Course is always in good shape.
- 9/11/19, Emerald Lake Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - Love the layout but the bent grass greens were soft and hairy. Could not get enough of a consistent roll to make any significant putts. I've gotten so spoiled by all the Bermuda grass courses around town that coming back to Emerald Lake was a bit disappointing. Several of the greens had issues with old ball marks or thin dirt spots, but they didn't necessarily affect putting as much as the slow speed and natural bumpiness of the bent grass. Fairways, rough, bunkers and tees were all just fine. The rate was good for a weekday afternoon but $5 for a Stella was pretty steep.
- 9/9/19, Larkin Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Larkin is in great shape. They aerated a coupla weeks ago so the greens are a bit slower than normal but should be perfect in about a week. Quantum leap in conditions since being acquired by the Stonebridge/Edgewater group, whatever they are called. Three of the best-condition courses in the area.
- 9/1/19, Warrior Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - My first time back at Warrior since they redid the greens (Bermuda) last summer. They did not disappoint. They rolled great and were in excellent shape. The course is a little more open now as they also removed tons of trees last year. It is a fun layout and has some beautiful holes on the back 9. The rate was great for a holiday weekend afternoon. If you live anywhere near this course, it should be in your regular rotation.
- 8/31/19, Skybrook Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - Got invited to see the new Skybrook -- it just reopened last week after closing for renovations for 2 months. The new Bermuda greens are awesome -- I was very impressed with how they rolled and how receptive they were. With so many Charlotte courses going Bermuda, I've gotten used to the nuances of the grass and these were excellent. They were surprisingly quick too for new greens. They are still growing in the collar Bermuda which will be slightly different than the greens. It should be a nice touch. With 2 months to grow in the new greens, the staff also resodded and fixed some fairway issues. Holes #1 and #6 were typically cart path only but are now good to go. No changes to the layout or the contours of the greens. So it's still the same course, which I've always liked. The clubhouse renovations included a redo of the restaurant with all new big screen TV's and also outdoor patio seating. These changes should make it a great place to hang out after your round. Skybrook is well on its way back to the Top 10 public courses in Charlotte.
- 8/30/19, Red Bridge Golf & Country Club, Review by The B-Man - Greens were great as always, no issues. Tee boxes were not great, however. Not a huge deal, but noticeable -- either bare thin, weeds or flufy bermuda almost like rough. And around several fairways or just off, even just off the greens, there were lots of weeds. It wasn't a big problem, but enough to make some lies worse than they should have been and of course diminish the aesthetics. The layout is still great and the price is always really good. So still a great course, just not as nice as I've seen it.
- 8/29/19, Mooresville Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Or darn near perfect. Greens rival those at The Warrior. When they re-opened a while back they were far too fast. Coupla years of aerating and they roll as well or better than anywhere. Great layout and near perfect conditions.
- 8/28/19, Rocky River Golf Club, Review by dad4204 - I hadn't played here in about 3 years. It was in fantastic shape. I'd heard the bunkers were sometimes bad, but they seem to have been repaired. Except for the fairways just a little thin in some places this is perfect. The greens are super, rolled fantastically. Play there !
- 8/27/19, The Golf Club at Ballantyne, Review by IM4DHERD - Better than good, but not perfect. Fastest greens I've played in a while. Place is in great shape. Worst score in a LONG time, but it certainly wasn't due to conditions. Place will be closing before too terribly long.
- 8/24/19, Eagle Chase Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - Agree with IM4DHERD's 7/7/19 review. Greens, fairways and tee boxes in great shape. With over 2 inches of rain last night some of the bunkers had casual water in them but I had no trouble getting out of two I found. Cart paths are indeed very bumpy. Played behind a very, very slow foursome which made for a 5 hour rd. One of my favorite courses.
- 8/24/19, Stonebridge Golf Club, Review by jbe - One of the areas best! Greens have healed and weíre rolling true. Bunkers need a grooming but not surprising with all the rain theyíve had.
- 8/20/19, Red Bridge Golf & Country Club, Review by jaydee - Wife and I played, play was a little slow. Course in good shape overall. Green excellent shape.
- 8/19/19, Larkin Golf Club, Review by BetterThanMost - Larkin is aerating greens Monday-Wednesday this week.
- 8/18/19, Red Bridge Golf & Country Club, Review by wesleyheightshacker - Played Red Bridge this morning. Per the usual, the greens and fairways were in fantastic shape. They continue to have some trouble with some of the tee boxes. Overall, the experience was fantastic.
- 8/16/19, Tega Cay Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - I love this layout and agree that it is important to play with someone familiar with the course. It is critical on a lot of holes to be not just in the fairway but the correct side of the fairway. The greens were smooth and very fast and the fairways, tee boxes and bunkers were in great shape.
- 8/15/19, Stonebridge Golf Club - Course is being aerated next week on Monday 8/19 and Tuesday 8/20. Only 9 holes will be open during the aeration dates.
- 8/10/19, Birkdale Golf Club, Review by BetterThanMost - Played Birkdale this afternoon. Tees and fairways are in decent shape. Some bunkers are better than others. Greens are showing the stress of the summer heat. Lots of bare spots and bumps that throw your ball offline. Also not a lot of consistency in speed from green to green. The starter told me that the club will close this Fall to re-grass their greens with bermuda. Also, at some point in the future, they are going to build a hotel and shops on the land where the driving range currently sits. This project will also take out the 9th tee and fairway. That hole will be converted to a par 3.
- 8/9/19, Birkdale Golf Club, Review by freshco - https://flyermart.online/freshco-flyer
- 8/5/19, Waterford Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - I received an email from Waterford on 7/24 that their greens had recovered from a root disease and decided to give it a try after playing it in early May posting here to stay away. The greens were in very good condition as was the rest of the course. Due to the heavy rain on Sunday the bunkers were a little firm but overall very satisfied. This is one of my favorite courses and I am so glad its back it great shape.
- 8/3/19, Warrior Golf Club, Review by wesleyheightshacker - Greens were fantastic, probably some of the best that I've putted on in Charlotte. The fairways were fine. There were a few tee boxes that were pretty bare with not much grass on them. The bunkers are in bad need of repair as most didn't have much sand in them at all and the edges of some of the bunkers were grass less. The pace of play was pretty slow.
- 8/2/19, Glen Oaks Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - A little disappointed in Glen Oaks, but temper that with higher expectations. Probably as in good a shape as most anywhere around, but I can't recall seeming weeds on that course before. Also, the greens were in great shape, but rolled slow for some reason. Didn't look to be shaggy at all, maybe the gravity is different in Lincoln County? Tees traps and fairways all in good shape, except for the afore-mentioned weeds.
- 7/30/19, Highland Creek Golf Club, Review by Hunter - I used to like this course. Layout wise. Haven't played in a LONG time and heard it got better so we played 9 after work. Outside of the tee boxes/fairways I was not impressed. Greens have tons of weeds and were very bumpy/slow. Several dead spots. Some bunkers looked good others looked mud. I will be passing on this course until I hear better news.
- 7/29/19, Edgewater Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - One of my favorite courses and it didn't disappoint. Greens were in great shape and were very fast. Bunkers and tee boxes were in good shape as well.
- 7/28/19, Stonebridge Golf Club, Review by Hunter - I love Stonebridge. Fair layout. Looked in great shape from tee to green. Few ball marks but that is on the players not the course. Staff is always friendly and well worth the money for a primetime weekend round.
- 7/24/19, Mooresville Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Mooresville is looking and playing great. Some of the best greens in the area, right up there with Warrior. When they were rebuilt they were too hard and fast, but have settled down. Fairways, rough, tee boxes all in excellent shape. One of the best practice ranges, chipping greens and putting greens in the Metro area.
- 7/10/19, River Oaks Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - For the most part the fairways were in good shape. The greens had been top-dressed with a sand that had numerous small pebbles in it. Ball marks all over, not unlike Emerald Lake. The traps looked good. They had put a lot of money into clearing trees and maybe just don't have enough now to keep it in the shape I remembered (last play 11/17).
- 7/7/19, Eagle Chase Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Where it needs to be good, it is very good. Where it doesn't, not so much. Greens, fairways and teeboxes are in great shape. Sandtraps have a lot of gravel in the them, or at least the two I was in and others I observed walking by. Much of the cartpaths are so broken up as to be very uncomfortable, if not dangerous, to ride on. Outside of the fairways and some rough are a lot of bare areas, but this has always been the case.
- 7/7/19, Rocky River Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - Had a good experience Sunday afternoon at the #7 course in my recent Top 10 list (Charlotte Agenda link on my Insta profile). One of my playing partners is friends with the PGA Director of Golf (Ryan Brickley) so we received great service -- he even rode with us a few holes. Fairways and greens were in fantastic shape. Only issue we encountered were several washed out or water-filled bunkers due to the recent heavy rains over the holiday weekend. We played lift, rake and replace in the bunkers because of this, but I did lose one ball in a sand bunker "water hazard" that led to a double bogey even after a rake/replace. I also think the course could be improved by cutting down the brush just off the cart paths so it's easier to find shots that are only mildly out of play. Despite that and the 95+ degree heat, my group had a fun round. The carts have GPS which was helpful for measuring targets to different portions of the greens and for layups. The amenities -- clubhouse, pro shop, bar, driving range, etc -- combined with the course conditions and layout will keep Rocky River in my Top 10 and possibly moving up this year.
- 7/6/19, Red Bridge Golf & Country Club, Review by TPX - Always like playing here. Course was in good shape. Greens werenít quite as fast as the practice green which was a shame as it was rolling great. Course greens rolling pretty good too.
- 7/2/19, Warrior Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - The good - Couple of fairways have a few bare spots that make you scratch your head, but none seemingly in play. Otherwise they are lush and beautiful. Greens and fringe are magnificent. Some of teeboxes have some sand repair going on, but overall in great shape. The bad - The traps are thin, hard and have rocks. There are thins and bare areas, particularly at the cart paths but they shouldn't come into play. The ugly - they took out a large number of trees last year and those areas, not in play, are not very appealing. They did, however, have a number of people out working in the heat on these. Bottom line, tee to green as good as it gets.
- 6/30/19, Deer Brook Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Always a pleasure to play Deer Brook. Always in excellent condition, particularly this time of year. They had sodded a large section of the par 5 fairway, but it doesn't seem an area reachable by driver nor likely for a lay-up. Some issues with unattended ball marks on the greens, but those are player's faults, not the course's. Fairways, teeboxes, greens all in great shape. Wasn't in a trap, but they looked just fine. Greens were a bit faster than those I've played anywhere else around Charlotte this year.
- 6/29/19, Stonebridge Golf Club, Review by GinMillDJ - Normal wear and tear for late June. Fairways and greens were in great shape. Bunkers - Average. Tee boxes could use a little bit of TLC. Played in just under 4 hours. Will be back.
- 6/24/19, Carolina Lakes Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Overall in very good shape. Greens were a little slower than they looked, but with all the rain we got in May and dry conditions that followed, they might have been giving them a break. Putted true and looked great. Fairways and tee boxes in great shape but oddly enough, some fairways had what looked to be ground up hardwood mulch spread on them. Maybe to hold moisture? Maybe to add alkaline? Didn't affect play at all. Some thin areas by the cart path. Now the sand traps...Looked great and you could tell there was plenty of sand in them but it was pretty compacted. Maybe they never fluffed them back up after May rain. Great for hitting out of fairway bunkers but my club would bounce and I'd skull the ball around the greens.
- 6/19/19, Birkdale Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Weekday Senior rate $35, replay $15, Played 36, 80 and 83. Course is in great shape. They had dressed the greens not too long ago but they were putting great and the sandtraps showed issues from some recent heavy rain (ponds, etc. were bloated) but you could tell there is fresh sand in all of them and maintenance was out raking them back into shape. Tee boxes, save #10 that gets little sun, were for the most part great and the fairways, rough and fringes were very good. Well worth playing.
- 6/11/19 - Msg Board Posting about Skybrook Golf Club
Re: Skybrook closing for greens renovation Kyle Smith Know several members at Skybrook and this is pretty much my "home course." Change is going to be great for this course. Pinnacle has committed 1.5 million to the renovations over the next few years. Greens are converting and drainage is going to be addressed (thank God).
- 6/10/19 - Msg Board Posting about Skybrook Golf Club
Skybrook closing for greens renovation The B-Man Another summer, another bent grass course closing to switch over to Bermuda. Got word today that Skybrook Golf Club in Huntersville will be closing next week to switch to a Bermuda Mini-Verde hybrid. While they are closed, they will be addressing other areas including some renovations to the clubhouse. They plan to re-open on Aug 30th.
- 6/10/19 - Msg Board Posting about The Golf Club at Ballantyne
Ballantyne Golf Course gone IM4DHERD To be phased out. Holes 1,2 and driving range to become a "Town Center" area. Holes 3, 4 a park, hole 5 a buffer green area between further development and a neighborhood. Rest to be office space, retail etc.
Ballantyne golf course to transform into new urban center
- 6/7/19, Springfield Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Some might rate it average, but am giving them credit for the work being done. Issues - Most tee boxes have little if any grass. On one, we teed up just outside the designated teeing area, just to have some grass. They are, for the most part, well sanded so they are definitely working on them. The rough is fairly thin and had been aerated maybe not so recently. Again, they are aware of it, working on it and ask they you drive the carts in the fairways not the rough. Fairways and greens are in excellent shape, no complaints whatsoever. I guess they re-did the greens since the last time I played. They used to be so crazy fast that if your approach was above the hole you were screwed. Rolling very true now. Great practice area. One thing, and this is becoming a pet peeve of mine - Not a single red or yellow stake or line anywhere on the course.
- 6/4/19, Emerald Lake Golf Club, Review by dad4204 - As said earlier, the greens are severely pockmarked. I tried to repair several marks each hole, but it's a lesson in frustration as there are thousands. Fairways good, bunkers mostly good, but unraked, not sure why that was. I ran out of sand in 4 holes so the new carts will hopefully have 2 carriers. I didn't see a place on the course to acquire new sand, so played the last 14 holes without it. Obviously I'm obsessed with that. I love this course, but it kicked me this time. Tees were hard as a rock, maybe they could put a hammer in each cart. Should be good now with the rain.
- 6/3/19, Larkin Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - The good, the bad, and the ugly. The good - Course is in excellent shape, perhaps in part due to lack of play because for what seems like forever they have had #10 either totally closed or at least shortened due to neighborhood construction. #11 was shortened for some time too due to rebuilding of tee-boxes. I know I avoided it for more than a year. Sister course to Stonebridge and Edgewater and it shows in it's condition. Greens are fantastic. Hardly a blemish. The fairways near perfect except for some approach areas with multiple divots that haven't grown in, maybe due to the recent lack of rain? Bunkers look to have been recently re-done and are in great shape. Tee to green as nice as anywhere around, or better. Best $25 conditions out there, for sure. Holes 5-11 are like playing a mountain course with elevation changes seldom seen around here. The bad - Afore-mentioned construction. Not on the tees, fairways or greens but they are building a surrounding neighborhood. Just a bit distracting. Have to follow a maze to get to #1 and #10. Really only affects #s 11 and 12. Didn't see any marks/designations for penalty areas. No red or yellow stakes or lines anywhere. There are a number of holes with areas of very thick vegetation just off a short area of rough that could/should be designated a penalty area to allow for a drop rather than stroke and distance for a lost ball. Or just hit it in the fairway, I suppose. The ugly - 12 on a par five with 5 penalty strokes.
- 6/1/19, Verdict Ridge Golf & Country Club, Review by The B-Man - Verdict Ridge lived up to my own hype (I ranked it #1 for Charlotte's public courses in a recent article for Charlotte Agenda). Course was in immaculate shape tee to green. The greens in particular were quick and true, just about perfect. While the heat took a nice break on Saturday, they had a well stocked beverage tent set up on the crossing between 6 & 14, which was perfectly situated in the middle of both 9's. The only notable negative was the ground under repair on #7 at the end of the fairway -- my playing partner's ball rolled under the black plastic fence and he got a free drop. Not sure what the plan is for that area right in front of the hazard. The staff was super friendly and I should also mention the practice area has free range balls before your round -- not many public courses offer that. Needless to say, I'll be back many more times this year.
- 5/30/19, Dr. Charles L. Sifford Golf Course at Revolution Park, Review by BetterThanMost - Played Sifford/Revolution in the heat this afternoon. Conditions were fairly good from tee to green. Tee boxes were a touch on the long side, but nothing too bad. Fairways had plenty of grass on them. Green surrounds were in excellent shape. The greens themselves were in great shape but were on the shaggy side. Bunkers were good. Pace of play was fine on a weekday afternoon.
- 5/25/19, Emerald Lake Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - I just played the front 9 as the back 9 was closed due to a wedding and I only had 2 hours of daylight. I wanted to post this review though to say that Emerald Lake's bent grass greens are just okay. The course gets so much play from folks who you don't fix pitch marks that the greens are extremely pock marked. Most of the time, you can fix the marks in the line of your putt and it's okay, but this is going to take its toll. It's only the first of June. Emerald Lake is one of the last public courses remaining with bent grass greens (along with nearby Olde Sycamore which tends to suffer similarly in the summer). I'm not sure how much longer they'll go before converting to Bermuda. The rest of the course was fine as far as conditions. I've played a lot of golf here (I was member for two seasons several years ago) and so I really know and love the layout (especially the back 9). If you play here this summer, post a review and let me know how it holds up.
- 5/25/19, Highland Creek Golf Club, Review by brinstone02 - I hadn't played here in over 10 years because of how far I heard it had fallen. Based off recent reviews we thought we would give it a shot. The fairways were in good shape, the greens were in good shape but fairly slow. You can tell the new management is trying to get this course back. However they need more water stations and they did not have a cart girl so your only opportunity for refreshment was at the turn. It is one of the harder courses in the area and can give you headaches.
- 5/22/19, The Tradition Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - So since I use these review so much, I determined to start writing my own. Why I have the three worst scores in a row of all year as soon as I do is embarassing. Tradition is in great shape. The greens are in excellent condition, a bit slower than they look but receptive a roll true. Some of the old Tradition broccoli is still in the fringe but it looks like they figured out how to hold it back. Fairways are all in great shape and most all tee boxes are as well with the exeption of #15 which has almost none for some reason. Seems Pinnacle Properties is doing a pretty good job of turning around the likes of Birkdale, Skybrook, Tradition, etc.
- 5/16/19, Tega Cay Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Better than good, but not perfect. Very impressed that most any area not just about perfect was well marked as ground under repair. Looks like they've been doing some work on drainage areas. Otherwise the greens and fairways are about the best I have seen all year anywhere.
- 5/14/19, Eagle Chase Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - Took a first timer out for his maiden round at Eagle Chase and he loved it. Greens were virtually perfect as they usually are. Carts were 90* despite weekend rainfall. A few bunkers had standing water but the maintenance crew was actively draining them on several holes (we teed off at 7:30am). So it was good to see them being proactive to quickly address it. Staff was very friendly to let us play through and did not interrupt our round.
- 5/14/19, Skybrook Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - Really very good conditions, but not perfect. Some spots in the fairways that didn't make much, if any, difference. I think an earlier review mentioned a lack of sand? Traps were well sanded and full. Greens were in fantastic shape as were teeboxes.
- 5/11/19, Harry L. Jones Sr. Golf Course, Review by nstoudt - The course was in decent condition. Greens were a little long so they rolled slow but overall not bad.
- 5/5/19, Birkdale Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - First time playing here in years and I was very pleased with the course conditions. Fairways were lush and green , greens were smooth and fast. I only played the front 9 due to weather concerns, lightening in the area. This was always one of my favorite courses in the Charlotte area and I definitely will be back and very soon.
- 5/4/19, Waterford Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - Let me start by saying that Waterford is one of my favorite golf courses in the Charlotte area. I have played this course several times this year and it has always been in good shape so I was shocked to see the condition of the greens and tee boxes. I am not sure what is going on with the greens but they were almost bare as were the tee boxes. Not sure if this is related to all the rain we have had in the past half year or what. The pace of play was 4 hours and 40 mins which is way too slow for me. When my threesome got to the twelth tee box there was the twosome that was ahead of us on the tee, in the fairway was a threesome and on the green was another threesome. I called the pro shop to ask for a ranger and was told no ranger was on duty that day due to only 45 golfers having signed up to play. I explained that all those 45 golfers were on the 12th hole at the same time. I had found out earlier that a tournament had been scheduled for May 4th but was canceled due to not enough golfers signing up. Maybe they saw the conditions of the greens and tee boxes? I hope the greens and tee boxes come back to their normally great condition as this is one of my favorite courses.
- 4/28/19, The Tradition Golf Club, Review by nstoudt - Course was in fantastic condition. Greens were perfect and were rolling a good speed. I havent played here since they lost the greens in '17 and was amazed at the difference.
- 4/11/19, Tega Cay Golf Club, Review by nstoudt - Course was in really good condition. I expected it to be wet but there was really only 1 hole that was soggy and it was near the water anyhow. Greens were in great shape and rolling nice.
- 4/8/19, Emerald Lake Golf Club, Review by nstoudt - Greens were recently aerated. Course was surprisingly soggy. But nothing too severe.
- 4/7/19, Charlotte National Golf Club, Review by TheClaw - I love Charlotte National, but I don't love the new greens. I understand why they made the change but I still miss the old bent greens. Played a late 9 yesterday and everything was good. I just found the greens to be too furry for my liking. They don't roll near as nice as the old ones used to. Hopefully once we are in growing season though they can cut 'em and roll 'em and get them rolling nice and true. Still worth playing though.
- 3/31/19, Carolina Lakes Golf Club, Review by nstoudt - Course was in pretty good shape. Greens were recently aerated however.
- 3/16/19, Birkdale Golf Club, Review by brinstone02 - With it being so early in the season and all the rain the last 2 months we were skeptical of the conditions. The fairways were in great conditions and the greens were faster than normal and rolled very true! The only drawback was if you were unfortunate to get in a bunker. They were hard and soggy from all the rain. All in all we were pleasantly surprised at how great of condition the greens were in.
- 3/9/19, Edgewater Golf Club, Review by TheClaw - After my last review I was not excited to come to Edgewater but I was signed up to play in a tournament. I had low expectations this time but was actually pleasantly surprised as I noticed a definite improvement over last time. They have done some work on some of the bunkers that were really bad my previous outing. They also have clearly been removing a lot of trees and vegetation to the betterment of the course. The greens were excellent. I take back what I said about not worth the drive from Charlotte, I am not giving up on this course yet and neither should you.
- 2/26/19, Highland Creek Golf Club, Review by GolfNiners5 - Some minor issues on tee boxes and some fairways with dead grass. Greens look great but need to be cut (can't blame them since it has rained forever). Worth playing- Should be in great shape once the season comes around
- 2/7/19, Birkdale Golf Club, Review by BetterThanMost - Hadn't been to Birkdale in quite some time, and it will probably be a while before I go back. Course was not crowded at all on a nearly 80į day, which should've been the first clue. Had a coupon and it's a good thing, as the rack rate of $49 would have been way too much to pay for current conditions. Much of the grass was dormant, as to be expected, but the greens were in really rough shape. Bare patches and uneven patches abound. Low areas of the course are still really wet. Staff was great. Range was mats only. Range balls are a mix of old and new.
- 2/6/19, Monroe Country Club, Review by jaydee - First time playing here. Fairways and greens in good shape for time of year, greens were fast and true. While playing back nine couldn't help but noticed excessive noise from major highway . Front nines greens are small and raised making for short shots rolling back off putting surface. All in all liked course except for "road noise".
- 2/2/19, Edgewater Golf Club, Review by TheClaw - Was inevitable I guess, but this course is going backwards fast. Greens are still good, everything else is just ok to terrible. The range balls were in terrible condition, half the bunkers are red clay. They are taking out a lot of bunkers as well so what is left are massive holes that look terrible with signs that say "GUR". Some of the "cart path only" signs look like they were created by children. The starter said they use red, white and blue flags to show the pin positions but some of the flags had been stolen so he said it is a mix. They have no other way to tell where the pin is (no pin position map on the cards or anything). I feel bad for the course as it obviously doesn't make enough money from rounds to make ends meet. For those who live in Charlotte this course is no longer worth the drive to play.
- 11/25/18, Skybrook Golf Club, Review by hotrod jb - First time playing Skybrook and I must say I really like the course. Conditions were very wet from the rain but overall it was good. The greens rolled true but a few issues with weeds. Only issue was the price in my book.
- 11/11/18, Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation, Review by tpac - First time playing Olde Sycamore, and I think I have a new local favorite. The course itself was perfect, sans the marks on the greens the idiots in front of us were leaving. "Repairs yours and one other" everyone... Otherwise, the fairways were in great shape, the rough cut as should be, beyond the rough kept clear in case you need to retrieve an errant shot or two. and the green were FAST! Thought the course layout was great. The cart we had was also in great shape.. lots of power and quiet electric. The staff was welcoming and very professional. Practice facilities was also in good shape and offered plenty of space for everyone. All in all, I cannot wait to get back out to Olde Sycamore.
- 11/4/18 - Msg Board Posting about Larkhaven Golf Club
One month left to play Larkhaven The B-Man In case you missed this message, here's the final note from Larkhaven Golf Club:
As many of you already know Larkhaven Golf Club has been under contract to sale. The final day of business will be Sunday, December 2nd. We would like to thank everyone who has supported Larkhaven for the past 60 years. It has been a golf course that many of you started playing when you were just a kid and have gone on to make many memories here. Come out and help us celebrate the final few weeks of Larkhaven!
We will be having a sale in the pro shop to help clear out merchandise. Everything will be sold at cost starting today. That is a savings of 25% on all merchandise.
Thank you again for all the support!
- 10/25/18, Carolina Lakes Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - Played in the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce Rub of the Green Golf Tournament and the course was in near perfect shape; the only issue I had was no one seemed to repair ball marks on the greens. This is one of my favorite courses in the area.
- 10/15/18, Deer Brook Golf Club, Review by BRR - Iíve played twice this year, once in May (shot in upper 80ís) and the 2nd in Oct. (a 77 this time). Both times the course was in great shape. Green fee for seniors is $27.
- 10/13/18, Springfield Golf Club, Review by MGOBLUE - Last played here in April, front 9 only, and thought the front was in pretty good shape. They closed the course for almost 2 mos to replace the greens and all I can say is that it they did a fantastic job. Fairways were lush and if there were any dead spots I didn't see them. The greens were immaculate and rolled great. I was only in one bunker but it had plenty of the white stuff in it. The tee boxes would be the only area not up to the same standard as the rest of the course.
- 10/1/18, Charlotte National Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - My first time back since they re-opened with new Bermuda greens. I liked them. Could not make a single mark all day on them, even with wedges, but they held shots just fine. They are not cut fast right now, but they rolled pretty true. There were a few that still had issues on the collar with bare dirt. I think once they grow in and can be cut faster, they'll be really nice. The rest of the course was not as good. Fairways were not cut, which was strange. They were lush but they would qualify as first cut rough at nicer courses. The tee boxes were also not cut and many were not in great shape. Rough was also thick and difficult. It's like they haven't mowed in a week. Assuming they cut the grass this week, the course is worth playing, especially at these prices.
- 9/28/18 - Msg Board Posting about Highland Creek Golf Club
Highland Creek closing next week The B-Man Highland Creek sent a letter to its members this week that it is closing October 1st in an attempt to fix the greens. However, the letter did not say for certain whether the course will re-open. It simply said, "We will monitor progress and make a determination later in the fall whether reopening the course is a viable option."
I'm not optimistic. Courses usually have a definitive plan to replace their greens (typically with Bermuda) when they reach this age and condition. HC's letter does not say they have the funding or support to replace the greens. So this sure sounds like the end of the line for what was once one of the more prestigious public tracks in Charlotte, in my opinion.
- 9/23/18, Stonebridge Golf Club, Review by StanTheCaddy - The entire course played slooooooow most likely from Florence. Rough was high but playable and fairways were pristine. Greens slow with a few scars due to people not repairing their marks. Some tee boxes were worn but nothing too bad. Pace of play was on par for Sat morning - a little slow.
- 9/14/18, Charles T. Myers Golf Club, Review by jaydee - This is the first time I have played since the greens were redone. Much improved greens from when I played here over winter (they were real bad then.)Yes I did too have trouble getting out of the rough on a few holes.I have to believe that the course will only get better going forward. I hope the greens hold up over the winter. Looking forward to playing some more here.
- 9/13/18, Warrior Golf Club, Review by BetterThanMost - Just want to echo IAM4HERD's review. New greens are great. Fairways are phemomenal! The other new feature is the removal of trees on just about every hole, mostly around the greens. Makes the course much more playable for all ability levels. They have grown the rough up to help combat the tree removal, but you can play out of it. GPS was working on my cart today as well. Definitely back in my rotation.
- 9/11/18, Warrior Golf Club, Review by IM4DHERD - First time at Warrior since the re-do. VERY impressed. The new greens are as perfect as anything around. A little slower than you might think for the way they look, but not shaggy. Perhaps kept a fraction long to keep them healthy. 95% of the fairways are perfect, just a couple spots here and there. Traps look great. I was in a couple and they played well ... Not fluffy, but compacted and raked. I was afraid they were thin, but they weren't. All the tee boxes were as good as any. GPS wasn't on, but I use my own so didn't even ask about it. Might have just needed to flip a switch. For the most part there is a nice 2nd cut, but the third cut can be pretty bare or overly thick. I expect this to be the next priority. Definitely well worth the trip (40 mins) and even the cost.
- 9/5/18, Charles T. Myers Golf Club, Review by dad4204 - Just coming out of renovation. So it's still rough. The greens have been completely redone and are going to be nice once they get really flat. We putted over some bumps and there are still areas growing in. But a great improvement. Tees have been replaced or are being replaced. You need tall tees for the new ones because the grass is tall. Again, the process is underway. Some traps have been reworked but others have no sand and are playing as ground under repair. Fairways are overall good. The rough is high and the fairways skinny, at least for the 15-18 handicappers we are. Some of our group became frustrated trying to get it out of the rough. Course is on the right path, I'll go back in a month or so and see how its coming.
- 9/3/18, Monroe Country Club, Review by The B-Man - My review may be slightly biased by my score. I shot a career best 73 with 4 birdies. I was a little worried before I teed off because the putting green was not in great shape. The greens on the course were fine though. Not perfect but they rolled pretty well and I was able to make some putts. Some were tricky to read as the bermuda blades have dried out in the summer heat. Tees and fairways were fine. I was only in 2 bunkers and they had no issues. The rough in a few places was pretty penalizing and deep enough you might not find your ball unless you step on it (raises hand). I won't say too much though because the thick rough kept one errant tee shot in play for me. This course is very reasonably priced and now has tee times online. The starter was friendly and offered to let me go off #10 as a single so I wouldn't be held up. I ran into a maintenance worker on several holes who was filling fairway divots with sand and generally checking things out. That was good to see. Nick Jacobi runs a great course and you should check it out when you can!
- 9/3/18, Red Bridge Golf & Country Club, Review by KyleSmith - Overall, this course is worth playing, especially if you can find a deal online. The greens are perfect as usual- quick and true. The fairways had some spots throughout the course, which is pretty typical from what I have experienced. Tee boxes were pretty decent, although I played the tips for the first time and they don't get as much use. This course plays completely different from the tips- multiple 200+ yard carries and different angles when you have to hit driver. Still a fantastic course. Worth the trip.
- 9/2/18, Eagle Chase Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - Eagle Chase never disappoints me. While they did have some winterkill damage to repair over the past 2 months on a few greens, the problems are pretty much resolved. They resodded and mended a few (notably #9 and #17). Greens were a little slower than usual but still rolled true. Tees, fairways and bunkers were all fine. The rates and the views here are some of the best around. If the course were closer, I'd get a membership.
- 8/26/18, The Golf Club at Ballantyne, Review by The B-Man - I came back again for the 3rd time in 2 months. The course is now in just about perfect shape. The greens were nearly immaculate and rolling very fast! Tees, fairways and bunkers were all in good shape. The bermuda rough was the only knock. Seemed like it had not been cut or they are keeping it high. The ball tends to sink down in it so you can't find it unless you walk right over the ball. This makes it very easy to lose a golf ball that's just a few yards off the fairway. So definitely keep a couple pairs of eyes on your ball if it is headed for the thick stuff. I played with a member so perhaps I got a guest rate. I paid $82 in July - so this was much better.
- 8/22/18, Verdict Ridge Golf & Country Club, Review by dischydo - Fairways and tees are in great shape. Greens were running at US open speeds. If you hit the green in the wrong spot above the hole, there are times were your next putt will be off the green. So fast, but a little bumpy/wavy. overall good
- 8/17/18, Birkdale Golf Club, Review by RJH6 - Not sure why the ratings here are so low. Thought the greens were some of the better greens Iíve played in Charlotte especially for the cost. Some of the bunkers could use some work, but everything else was great. Iíll be back for sure.
- 8/8/18, Rocky River Golf Club, Review by jaydee - Been a while since I have played here. I've been missing some great golf. Fairways and most all greens in excellent condition for summer. A couple of fun holes. A challenging but fair course. Will be back soon.
- 8/8/18, Rocky River Golf Club, Review by GolfNiners5 - Course is in excellent condition. Found a late deal on Golfnow for $25 and it was well worth it. We cruised around the front 9 with no problems, the only complaint would be that they were starting everyone off on 10 but people who only played 9 started at 1. We went to play our back 9 and were held up on almost every shot. Still completely worth it
- 7/29/18 - Msg Board Posting about The Revival Golf Club at the Crescent , Warrior Golf Club
Couple of Updates BetterThanMost Warrior is reopening on Friday, August 3rd for public play. You can now make tee times on their website.
Revival/Crescent is dealing with some issues on their greens due to a bad batch of chemicals they got earlier this season. They are interseeding their greens with Pure Distinction bent grass, but are still open for play. Additionally, they have cut down several trees around the 3rd green, and are laying sod to bring it back to its original size. If you've played the course, you know the 3rd green has been a problem for several years, so it's good to see that they are remedying it.
- 7/29/18, Stonebridge Golf Club, Review by The B-Man - Been meaning to get back out here and finally made it late Sunday afternoon. I really enjoy this course because it's straightforward and a place where you can post a good score (like I did today!). It's a bit of a drive since it's situated in the middle of Union County halfway between Monroe, Indian Trail and Waxhaw. They've really picked up the construction on the neighborhood now. So the landscape has changed, especially behind the par 3 third and to the right of number 4. Right now, the trees have been cleared and so it's just dirt piles. Besides that, they are working on the tee boxes everywhere but especially the front 9. They've chopped down lots of trees on the front 9 too. Hole #5 needs some love. I think they intend to sod around the areas where they cleared trees but right now it's rocks and dirt all along the left side of the hole and up to the green. If you stay on the fairway around this layout, you'll love the conditions. If you get off the fairway though, you will have some difficult lies on dirt and rocks. The greens and bunkers seemed to be in good shape. The bent grass greens have held up well and they were not too many unrepaired ballmarks. I thought the speeds were average but putts were rolling true. All in all, very good conditions for late summer. I will complain a bit about the rate though. $54 for a Sunday 4:30 tee time? My partner said he asked for a twilight rate and got $29. Why was I charged $25 more?? I'll be sending the course a note. Assuming the price is right, I'll be back here again soon.
- 7/28/18, Red Bridge Golf & Country Club, Review by GolfNiners5 - Course is in great shape, greens were slow and you could tell they had been punched within the last couple of weeks but hey rolled true. My main complaint and reasoning for not giving it 5 stars was the pace of play. They piled people up even though they had a starter. We waited pretty much on every hole and probably every shot. It had to be the longest round of golf in my life. They have 3 to 4 rangers driving around but they don't do anything to speed people up. If I wasn't playing so well we probably would have quit early.
- 7/27/18, The Tradition Golf Club, Review by jaydee - First time playing this course. Played with my wife and another couple we know. All of us loved the course and lay-out, fair but not to tough for us average golfers. We all thought the course was in great summer conditions. Greens a little slow , but that is expected. Fairways overall in great shape and rough not too long. We will be back soon.
- 7/25/18, Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation, Review by GungaGalunga - Reviewed this earlier in the year and was harsh in my comments to the course...and it still needs work regarding the greens...most have significant issues around the edges of the green and a few are really bad...also noticed higher than usual ball marks not repaired on the greens. Shame for a nice layout. Bunkers need sand added...hit one shot and saw the liner of the bunker. there was probably 1/2 in of sand only. Fun course when it's in better shape, but this is not it's year. Hope they can turn it around soon.
- 7/22/18, Highland Creek Golf Club, Review by Drewpac - Similar to some recent reviews, there are still challenges but it seems the course is improving. There are some issues with some tee boxes (just tee off around them), there are some issues with the greens on a couple of holes (yes 10 is bad), and probably the one that's the most confusing is the amount of weeds in some of the bunkers (easy fix). But overall, the course is in an improved condition. Its such a unique layout that seeing improvement is encouraging. As i said, there are issues, but $55 for a weekend round is unfortuntely on the low end around CLT these days, and you do get a good challenge with overall good conditions at HC. *We did get a cart that barely worked, which is odd and indicative of the financial challenges they face. Traded it in before we started, moved on. All went well after that.